Stereo Optical Co., Inc. is the world’s largest manufacturer of vision screening tools and equipment. We provide innovative, user-friendly, and inexpensive vision screening solutions to professionals in primary/elementary and secondary schools, the public health sector, and community centers.
As posted on the American Optometric Association website, every child needs to have the following vision skills for effective reading and learning:
- Visual acuity — the ability to see clearly in the distance for viewing the chalkboard, at an intermediate distance for the computer, and up close for reading a book.
- Eye Focusing — the ability to quickly and accurately maintain clear vision as the distance from objects change, such as when looking from the chalkboard to a paper on the desk and back. Eye focusing allows the child to easily maintain clear vision over time like when reading a book or writing a report.
- Eye tracking — the ability to keep the eyes on target when looking from one object to another, moving the eyes along a printed page, or following a moving object like a thrown ball.
- Eye teaming — the ability to coordinate and use both eyes together when moving the eyes along a printed page, and to be able to judge distances and see depth for class work and sports.
- Eye-hand coordination — the ability to use visual information to monitor and direct the hands when drawing a picture or trying to hit a ball.
- Visual perception — the ability to organize images on a printed page into letters, words and ideas and to understand and remember what is read.
Parents and teachers need to be alert for symptoms that may indicate a child has a vision problem. Vision screening, often conducted by school nurses, is critical in identifying the specific problem that can impede the child’s ability to learn.
We strive to deliver products and solutions of the highest quality. Please contact us if you have questions or comments.
SUGGESTED VISION SCREENERS INCLUDE:
- Screening hundreds of children effectively and effortlessly
- Highly portable:
- Weighs less than 7 kg (15 lb.)
- Very small footprint: Takes up less than 0.2 square meters (2 square ft.)
- Optional wheeled carrying case
- Meets state requirements with popular school-age tests such as Sneller/letter acuity, H.O.T.V., numbers and shapes such as Allen tests and Michigan preschool